Monday, August 20, 2012

I realize that I am supposed to say this, but it doesn't make it any less true.  I am having the time of my life and enjoying every second of this adventure.  I now have 15 fantastic, wonderful new umpire friends who I will remember forever.  I am watching some terrific baseball from some of the best seats in the house, and laughing my @#$%^ off at some of the jokes ands stories we share.  I knew this trip would be special, and memorable, and a once in a lifetime experience, I guess I just never factored in the absolute joy and laughter that goes along with all of that.  THIS IS SPECIAL !

OK, nuff on the mushy stuff.  Back to basics. If you had the chance to watch the first game, you saw the rain, and the rain, and then when the rain stopped, you got to see it start again.  We had about an 1:45 rain delay, but it just put off the inevitable.  Lopsided score, and one of those games that  challenges your ability to focus.  Final score, 17-1.  All this and I'm fighting a cold, so standing in the rain wasn't a lot of fun, but the kids deserved our full attention and we did our best to give it to them.  Just felt bad for the kids from Europe (US kids, Ramstein AFB).

Seond game was much closer.  Losers Bracket / Elimination Bracket game between New England (connecticut) and the Great Lakes (Indiana).  Kid from New England threw a no-no.  Had a few calls at 2B so was a bit more enjoyable than the first game.

Tomorrow - We're down to just 3 games a day, so fewer assignments for everyone.  18 slots for 16 umpires.  I've got a RF line at 4:00, so may have some time to explore some of the good restaurants they have in the area.

Dave Long and Shari left this morning to continue their trip up into Canada and Niagara Falls.  Lee (Batman) and Barry Silverman arrived last night so the six of us had the opportunity to spend a great time at a terrific local family owned Italian restaurant before Dave and Shari left town.  Too much food, but it was so good we just had to keep eating.  Having friends here is really cool, and truly makes the experience much more special.

Well, like I said, fighting a cold so I'm going to finish this beer (some things never change) and call it a day.  Thanks for tuning in, and I'll try to get ya some more stuff tomorrow.

Oh wait, forgot to mention something.  Veronica has discovered Little League pins. OH MY GOD !  This woman has gone absolutely bonkers!  She now spends all her time searching out people to trade with.  She's like a little kid with a new toy.  To tell the truth, it's kinda cute to see her this excitied about it.  She and all the other wifes / girlfriends / fiances truly are having as much fun as the guys are and it's pretty cool.

Talk to ya tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. The rain was of biblical proportions. I expected to see Noahs Ark go floating by and the players go marching onboard two by two. You guys could have been doing the backstroke out there. You had a nice little lake developing at Short Stop.

    ReplyDelete