Monday, August 13, 2012

Well, I've made it to Pennsylvania, but only as far as Philadelphia.  Had some dinner (Philly Cheesesteak, what else, DUH!), and it's off tomorrow morning for the three hour drive up to Williamsport.  And yes, it's starting to sink in. The other shoe has dropped so to speak, and it's really starting to dawn on me as to what's going on here. And to be honest, it's really calming. I find myself looking back on the past 35 or so years in Little League and remembering all the people, and places, and experiences along the way.  And one in particular comes rushing to the forefront.  Mid 80's, and I've gone to a LL All Star game with my daughter, Stacey.  Up at the old Ladera field that some of you might remember; the one with all the oil dericks and dirt.  Yeah, that one.  As a lot, if not most, of you know I started umpiring back in '77 because I had too.  If you were a Manager in Westchester LL, and you managed in one Division, you were required to umpire in another. Never really thought that much about being an umpire, just did it.  Had to, oh well, the price of being involved.  But this day, this day, something different happened.  This guy was calling the game, and I was mesmerized, transfixed.  I had never seen anyone umpire like that.  So calm, so COOL!  And I knew.  I just knew, that someday I wanted to be that good.  Watching him in that Marroon umpire shirt (yeah, you read that correctly, MAROOON!) was just the coolest thing I had ever seen.  Didn't have any idea who he was, but I was hooked. Thanks Jerry, from the bottom of my Heart.  And I guess the lesson here is that you just never know how, or when, you have an effect upon others.  I'm just extremely happy that Stacey and I went to that game, that day, because without that, I'm not writing this.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Tony, on your accomplishment. You have worked very hard to get there and I know you will do great! I really enjoyed your blog on Aug 13.

    ReplyDelete