Saturday, August 18, 2012

Just a quick one tonite.  It's late, and I'm fighting a bit of a cold so want to get some rest for the day tomorrow.  Had the Ugandan team again tonite.  In fact I've had both of their games and was "their" umpire on both occasions.  They were in the 3rd base dugout, and I was the 3rd base umpire.  Tonite we just reversed it to the 1st base side.  As such, I was responsible for keeping them in the dugout until the red hat (as the ESPN production folks refer to it) would give me the high sign notifiying me that the cameras were active.  So we had many short conversations thruout both games.  Great kids, great coaching staffs.  A truly and throughly enjoyable time.   Tomorrow, the long awaited plate assignment.  Canada vs. Latin America (Panama).   Game is at noon here, which means 9:00 am back home.  Winner's Bracket game so neither team has lost yet.

On  a side note, don't think I mentioned anything yesterday about our trip to Hershey.  I only had one game yesterday (Friday) so Veronica and I had all day to ourselves so we took a drive down to Hershey (about 2 hours South of Williamsport) to visit the home of Hershey Chocolate.  Took a tour of the factory and got few free samples before dropping a lot more  than "free" in the giftshop.  C'mon, it's chocolate !  Cool little town.  I had been there before and remember the overwhelming smell of chocolate that wafted throughout the entire city.  Unfortunately, the factory wasn't apparently working that day or whatever,  but no smell of chocolate today.  Veronica was a bit disappointed, as was I, but in talking to the locals they said they are shutting down the old factory and the new one doesn't "smell" like the old one does.  Oh  well.  Still have the "Hershey Kisses" covers on all the street lights so looking down the main street of town looks kinda cool.  So from there we took a short jaunt over to Lancaster and the Amish part of PA.  Stopped by an Amish farm house and bought some small trinkets, and as we were leaving we drove past a young Amish man (early 20's) and a small boy riding down the highway in their horse drawn buggy.  Veronica waived to them, and they in turn waved back, which made her day.

That's all for now.  I'll post again after tomorrow's "big game".

3 comments:

  1. Everything is just humming along and then.......My brother, watch the catcher NOT the ball! :) Great job today!! Keep us posted on your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comment. No comment at all....

    ReplyDelete