Thursday, August 16, 2012



Ok, first let's get caught up on yesterday.  I mentioned something earlier about a parade.  What I should have said was a PARADE !  O.M.G.  I had no idea.  It was huge! It went on for over 2 miles and was packed on both sides of the street.  Lawn parties, formal parties, lawn chairs, kids, adults, everything in betweeen.  This was the time to rob the Central bank of Williamsport and the surrounding 8 counties because there wasn't anyone who wasn't at this parade, I'm telling you that.  It was an absolute blast!  All the teams were on floats towed by big trucks.  there were cars, marching bands, the whole 9 yards.  And the best part, the really best part, was this. 

They had this really cool fishing boat, that was on a trailer. 


Well, it was for the umpires, but only had room for about 5 of the 16 of us.  So needless to say, we arm wrassled over who got to go in the really cool boat.  Next came the really cool golf cart.  And I mean really cool golf cart.  More arm wrassling.  That left about 9 of us to load up in the back of the really cool Army Truck.   You know, the badass ones thast look like  an overgrown Hummer.


Well, about a mile an a half into the parade, it started to rain.  And I mean really cool rain, LOTS OF IT !  Speed  boaters weren't sure if they over water or under it.  Golf carters, 'bout the same.  And those of us in the bed of the really big truck...WITH THE REALLY BIG TARP COVERING THE BED OF THE TRUCK...dry as a bone.  and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT !  Had a really nice picnic style lunch before the parade at Penn College, so all in all, a  good day.




Now on to today, Thursday.  Started with ground rules meetings for both fields, Volunteer and Lamade, Now here I've got to add a small side note.  Up until now, this has all been very bitchin', but well within reason.  Nothing totally out of the ordinary, but all really great.  The ground rules meeting.  First time actually stepping onto the fields of Williamsport.  I swear to God I felt like Moonlight Graham in Field of Dreams when my feet hit that dirt.  It was electrifying.  It honest and trully sent shivers up my spine. What an experience.


Opening Cermonies were cool, all the teams, all the colors, and then, finally, the first games.



Left Field line for the Japan / Caribbean game.  My ball repellant worked just fine. No calls except for one routine can-O-corn to the Center Fielder.  One down, hopefully several more to come.

Game off and then came back for a 1B assignment on the Asia-Pacific / Europe game.   One closeish call with the first baseman coming off the bag and then back on again before the runner reached 1B.  That was  cool.  And then had one that I'd like to see again.  Headfirst slide by the batter-runner into 1B.  Or was it?  For those of you who aren't familiar with the LL rule, that's not allowed.  By rule, a head first slide (safety rule) is not allowed and the ball is live, but the runner is declared out.  I saw a head first slide and called the batter-runner out.  Others saw it as maybe a trip / stumble as opposed to a head first slide.  After hearing those comments, from others whom I respect, I'd like to see it again.  Won't change that call, but always want to see what I can learn from plays / calls like that.

Tomorrow, have only one game and it's late.  3B at 5:00 EST.  So I've got some free time, so Veronica and I, with the UIC's permission, or going to take the drive down to Hershey, PA and spend some time at the Chocolate City.  Street lights are topped with hershey Kisses and you can smell the town LONG before you ever get there.  Should be a fun day.  5:00 game will be Latin America vs. the kids from Ugand awho are the Middle East / Africa Champions.

Should get more of my schedule tomorrow nite, so check back later tomorrow for more updates.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Coop. Good call at first. I was watching the game and saw it happen. Kyle is enjoying watching my UIC in the WS. Congrats again. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete